A SPRING BREAK STAYCATION TO REMEMBER!
If you're sticking close to home this spring break you may not realize you can have a week chock-full of fun right in Oconomowoc! What all can you do, well we will tell you! And we'll also slow things down a bit and give you some fun reading to plan a spring break staycation for the books!
If you watch the video, here are our top 13, read more below and fill that spring break staycation up with fun!
13. Parks and Playgrounds 12. Bike Trails 11. Skate Park 10. Mapleway Bowl 9. Cowabunga Comics 8. Children's Play Gallery 7. Lake Country Cyclebar 6. Pabst Farms YMCA 5. Crossfit Rohkeus 4. Sweat Shop Hot Yoga 3. Local Massage 2. Overnight stay at a local hotel 1. Visit - or multiple - to the Oconomowoc Public Library
Let's Just Play!
Spring break is all about having fun. So let’s explore some more spots you can certainly play the day away.
Children's Play Gallery: A top hit in Oconomowoc for babies to elementary age to imagine, create and just have some fun free play. Moms and dads can enjoy interacting right alongside or just sit back and watch your child explore. The Play Gallery is open daily, check their website for the most up-to-date information.
Have a little competitive spirit in you? Why don’t you take the family for a game or two at Mapleway Bowl. The hometown bowling alley is open Saturday and Sunday afternoons and weeknights. Call or check the website for open bowling times.
We also recommend the Pabst Farms YMCA as a top place to drop in and play. Get a guest pass and go shoot some hoops. Play a game of HORSE, or hit the weight room.
Learn History and Culture
Can you name five historic facts about Oconomowoc? Do you know where all of Oconomowoc’s public art pieces are?
Exploring the art and history of Oconomowoc is a great way to connect to the rich fabric of the community’s founders as well as newer contributors.
Here’s how you can dive into a history lesson and culture tour of Oconomowoc!
1. Visit the Museum: Plan a trip to the Oconomowoc Museum. During winter, the museum is limited on visiting hours. However, it does have a special visiting day scheduled from 1-4 p.m. Sunday, March 20.
You can always contact the museum to see about arranging a tour. Check out their website for more information and a look at the current exhibits you can see there.
2. Historic Walking Tour: This is such a great activity because it involves two things that get you out of the house – a good walk and a fun history lesson with fantastic architecture. Oconomowoc’s Historic Walking Tour is a classic activity that draws visitors and entertains locals! You can pick up a walking tour brochure at the Community Center, City Hall or Chamber. Then head out and pick your favorite stop along the way.
3. Cemetery Tour – Just the like walking tour, our friends at the Oconomowoc Historical Society have put together a more in depth look at the history laid to rest in the La Belle Cemetery. The cemetery dates back to the 1800s. Check out 3 tours of founders, settlers and influencers who are buried here. Check out the website to learn more about the tours and brush up on your cemetery etiquette before you go.
4. Geocaching - In and around the Oconomowoc area there are dozens of Geocaches available to find. After following directions on how to find a Geocache, just put in your zip code and you’ll find the closest Geocaches to your location.
5. Art Tour - How many public art pieces are you familiar with in Oconomowoc? Check out this sweet online tour and use it to navigate to our more visible stops, but then find your way to some not-so-easily found gems. Learn more about the artist’s vision and details of each piece.
Health and Fitness Adventures
Get out and explore! Let’s talk about some of the top places to move, walk, ride, roll and just have a fit time!
1. Lake Country Bike Trail - We are fortunate to have the Lake Country Bike Trail managed by Waukesha County pass through Oconomowoc. This awesome trial built along a utility path provides a safe, smooth traverse for a north to south jaunt through the city or beyond. The trail can also take you to Delafield and beyond where you can link up to others. Plan an hour or a day of riding.
2. Ocon Skate Park - This brand new skate park completed in fall of 2021 is a space for all to drop in! The skate park allows not only skateboards but bikes, rollerskates and scooters. Grab yours and head over to try out the park.
3. Drop in at Ocon Rec - Ocon Recreation offers tons of classes for any age and ability. Want to try one? They’ve got classes all during spring break week that are for adults, and some that will allow you to bring your teen! Drop-in fees are a low cost way to get a workout in and learn more about the program. Here’s what is up (click the class to learn more about it):
- Saturday, March 19 – Pound Fitness, Work it Out or Cardio Pump
- Monday, March 21 – Zumba
- Tuesday, March 22 – Cardio Pump or Work it Out
- Thursday, March 24 – Strength Training or Work it Out
- Saturday, March 26 Work it Out or Cardio Pump
4. Check Out a Local Gym - There are so many cool ways to get a workout in here and many are for all ages! Check out...
5. Just Play - Oconomowoc Parks manages 14 playgrounds in parks not including the one we share with St. Paul Church downtown. Can you hit them all up during spring break? Maybe start with ones you aren’t familiar with. What are the best features of each playground?
6. Outdoor fitness equipment - Try some outdoor equipment at Nature Hill area before you hike the hill. Or after you skate or ride at the skate park in Roosevelt Park. Both places have outdoor equipment to use.
7. Pabst Farms YMCA - You can shoot hoops, you can run or walk on the indoor track, you can swim… and there’s lots more! Check out Oconomowoc’s YMCA for spring break. You can purchase a guest pass to spend some time there and have some fun!
8. Relax - There are so many wonderful places to get a massage in Oconomowoc. We stopped in 4 Rivers Center for Well Being and were instantly relaxed. Book one somewhere local during your spring break!
There's No Place Like the Oconomowoc Library
The Oconomowoc Public Library does not disappoint. Yes, you can go there and find fabulous books for all ages. But. There. Is. So. Much More.
What else can you do there? Let us tell you!
1. Explore Pass - The library can hook you up with a free trip to The Children’s Play Gallery, Betty Brinn Children’s Museum, Mitchell Park Domes or Milwaukee Art Museum. Yes, we said FREE! Contact the library for more information on the Explore Pass to get your hookup.
2. Maker To Go - You’ll have to grab this one before spring break starts but then you’ll have a little craftivity to do during the week! The library’s Monday Makers To Go offers free to-go bags of crafts you can create at home. The next one goes home Monday, March 14. Grab one for later!
3. Anime & Cosplay Club - Have a tween or teen that is into Anime or Cosplay? Drop them at the library March 24 to chat with like-minded friends, enjoy games, activities and crafts!
4. Easy movie night - You can browse the many DVD options for check out at the library and plan your next movie marathon. You can also check out a Roku and stream away! The library has a new streaming service people will love. Two actually: Access Video on Demand and the kids' version, Just for Kids Access Video.
5. Say hi to Loki - You can simply plan a “low-key” visit to the Library and explore so many things. Find a quiet nook and read and of course say hi during your low-key stop to the library’s ambassador, Loki!
We are here to help inspire you and give you the info you want to plan fun things to do in Oconomowoc! Check out our most recent Oconomowoc itineraries here...
Spring-Summer Event Lineup
We are so excited to see our old favorites slated for 2021 and many more! From outdoor concerts to festivals, there's lots on the books! Read more here.
Oconomowoc Date Night
Drinks, dinner, lakeviews, sweet endings... here are some suggestions for a night out in Oconomowoc. Date night ideas.
Go Dog, Go
You love your best friend, we get it so we've come up with ideas that won't leave them at home! Take your dog along ideas.